Friday, July 13, 2018

Cajun Smoked Deviled Eggs


18 eggs
1 cup water
3/4 cup mayo
3/4 tea Cajun seasoning
1/2 tes Sriracha Sauce
1/2 tea salt
3/4 tea pepper
Smoked Paprika
Bacon

Place eggs on trivet in the Instant Pot with a cup of water poured below. Cook on High pressure for 7 minutes. Quick release and place eggs in an ice water bath for 5 minutes. Peel eggs. Using a foil pan, smoke eggs at low heat (around 250 degrees) for about 20-30 minutes. Cut eggs in half and remove the yolks. Put yolks, mayo, Cajun seasoning, Sriracha, salt, pepper in a bowl and mix well until smooth. Place yolk mixture into a zip lock bag and cut the corner of the bag to allow you to pipe the yolks into the egg halves. Sprinkle with paprika and place a piece of bacon on each half. Enjoy!

One of the first things I read about was hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot. What? Seriously? Cuz it's not that hard to boil water with eggs in it. Why do I need to use the Instant Pot for that? But, I was curious so I tried it. The eggs came out fine but only doing a handful of them, it didn't seem worth it to me to haul out the pot. For our Father's Day BBQ, my husband was smoking some meat- since the smoker was already going to be up and running, I thought about doing the smoked deviled eggs. True, it does take about the same, if not longer, than using the stove. It takes a bit for the pot to come to pressure. However, with the larger amount of eggs I was using, I didn't think they would all fit comfortably in my regular stove top pot. Also, I did notice that the peels of the pressure cooked eggs all but fall right off. How many times have you made deviled eggs and the whites of the eggs are ruined by the time you get them peeled? Not only are these eggs smooth, the time it takes to peel them is hardly anything. I read about several different methods of hard boiled eggs in the pot- the 5-5-5, the 3-3-3, and others I found. I randomly chose one page that said 7 minutes will give you a good solid yolk so there you have it. To actually smoke the eggs, the timing and temp can vary. You can throw them in the smoker while you are bringing the smoker up to a higher temp for something else. The longer you smoke them, obviously, the more smoke flavor your eggs will have. The eggs will start to turn a beautiful golden color so just watch for the color change and gauge for yourself how long to leave them in the smoker. I realize not everyone has a smoker. I know there are ways of turning your regular grill into a smoker or there is liquid smoke flavoring. But I have also made these without smoking and they are still delicious. I like to put pieces of bacon on these just to add a bite of crispness and flavor but feel free to experiment! Shrimp, jalapeno, olives, etc... 

So next time you are trying to decide what to bring to the Summer BBQ, give these little gems a try! 


No comments:

Post a Comment